Re: [AMBER] [Sender Not Verified] Re: Constant pH remd

From: Adrian Roitberg via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 12:58:09 -0500

On 2/23/24 2:49 AM, Steinbrecher, Thomas via AMBER wrote:
> [External Email]
>
> Hi all,
>
> thanks for posting these comments Skanda, I was curious if you couldn't
> also take a "glass half-full" perspective on this:
>
> If you care about a residue that can have two protonation states, a single
> structure approach like pKa-ANI run on both states will give you an upper
> and lower bound of the pKa (or pKa shift relative to solvent), because the
> protonated simulation generates an ensemble that favors the protonated
> state, biasing the pKa to a more basic value, while the deprotonated
> simulation generates an ensemble that favors the deprotonated one, with the
> 'correct' pKa shift somewhere in between both results (and, in the limit of
> infinite simulation time, both results converging to the same value because
> the ensembles are both fully sampled in both simulations). This is not
> enough to decide where in the middle of the two results the correct pKa is,
> because we do not know the free energy difference between the two ensembles
> (and have no easy way to calculate that without coupling protonation state
> and conformation changes in a cpHMD run) ), but the pKa-ANI calculation
> gives you an indication how large the uncertainty in the pKa shift is, so
> you could consider it a (cheaper&faster?) way to figure out if a cpHMD
> simulation will be necessary.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas.

Let me try to explain with an extreme example why what you propose would
not work.

Running MD with a residue protonated all the time, would be equivalent
to an experiment done at very low pH, at least 2-3 pH units below the
residue's pKa, which in principle is unknown. If you run it
unprotonated, you are running it 2-3 units ABOVE the unknown pKa.

Now, let's take a system that at very low and very high pH have very
different conformations. Which one would you use ? The limits are
actually opposite of what simple intuition would tell you, and the
bounds for pKa can easily span 6-7 pKa units in those cases.

Take a look at Tanford, C. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1961, 83 (7), 1628 for a
very simple model of coupled conformation/pH equilibria where you can
see that if a system undergoes any type of conformational change
associated with pH, then you cannot study just protonation or
conformation, you must study them coupled.

Adrian