Re: [AMBER] Dihedral Parametrization in Amber19: Same QM level as for 94?

From: Jones de Andrade via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:02:34 -0300

Hi Dr. Simmerling. Thanks for the prompt answer (and sorry for any mistyping: using the phone since we got our optical link severed here at university).

Yes, that is what I called "traditional" protocol. My point is that this is the reported protocol for the original amber ff94/96 (only difference is that instead of fitting it would mostly focus on just the overall rotation energy barrier), and I even think it is the parametrization technique used for gaff, but it still managed no stablish the parameters of a X-CA-CA-X dihedral torsion (basically, a benzene ring).

It always bothered me how it could actually be done on that way for such aromatic atoms for the same concern you expressed: the energy would skyrocket.

So, how was the original X-CA-CA-X dihedral torsion force constant parametrized for ff94/96? Does anybody has any idea?

Thanks a lot again, and best regards,

Jones