Re: [AMBER] [Sender Not Verified] Re: Issues with simulating 5'-phosphorylated RNA strands

From: Michael Bruist via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:53:04 -0400

Harvey,

I have run across similar problems and came up with two different methods
that seem to have stabilized the phosphates.

Method 1

Dissociate the problematic hydrogen, giving the terminal phosphate a charge
of –2.

Since the pKa of that group is close to 7, this is not an abnormal choice.
The atom type of the dissociated hydrogen was changed and charged on P and
OP1, OP2, and OP3 were altered, all in leap.

source leaprc.RNA.OL3

source leaprc.water.tip3p

loadOff terminalphos.lib

rna=loadPDB ../../TLS1_HPO3_old/TLS1_clipped.chimera.pdb

remove rna.1 rna.1.36 # removes the HOP from residue

set rna.1.35 type "O2" # changed atom type from OH
to O2 (OP3)

set rna.1.35 charge -0.9534 # changes charge of oxygen with
changed type

set rna.1.1 charge 1.1662 # changes charge on phosphorus
(P)

set rna.1.2 charge -0.9534 # changes charge on OP2

set rna.1.3 charge -0.9534 # changes charge on OP1

check RNA

Method 2

Increase the force constraint on the P - OP3 - HO bond angle.

In all cases where I have been able to see images before the crash, this
angle has been less than 90°. I increased it approximately 3x, to give it
the same value as the O - P - P bonds, so it is not completely abnormal.

With this value, a 100 nsec run of a 4-way junction molecule with four 5’
phosphates gave one P -O -H angle that dropped to 95°.

These modifications were made using parmed on the parm and crd file created
in leap with the problematic phosphate(s).

Note parmed will only recognize an angle listed in one direction:

printAngles :1.P :1.OP3 :1.HP3 # This is recognized

printAngles :1.HP3 :1.OP3 :1.P # gives blank information with no
error

Get started:

parmed -p ../build3/TLS1_clipped_K_tmp3.parm7 -c
../build3/TLS1_clipped_K_tmp3.lcrd

printAngles :1.P :1.OP3 :1.HP3 # provides the current
properties of this angle

setAngle :1.P :1.OP3 :1.HP3 140.0 108.5 # 140 is the new spring
constant; 108.5 is the original equilibrium angle

printAngles :1.P :1.OP3 :1.HP3 # The new value was accepted

setAngle :11.P :11.OP3 :11.HP3 140.0 108.5 # The other three phosphates
are modified.

setAngle :21.P :21.OP3 :21.HP3 140.0 108.5

setAngle :31.P :31.OP3 :31.HP3 140.0 108.5

printDetails .OP3 # Various ways to give the program
a chance to say something is wrong.

checkValidity

summary

outparm TLS1_short_HPO3_k140.parm7 # This prints out
the new parm file. Be sure to give it a distinctive name. This file will
work with previous coordinate files because no atoms were added or deleted.

quit