Re: [AMBER] [Sender Not Verified] Regarding Determination of HIS Residue States

From: zhangxiaochun via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:14:40 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Dear Thomas,
I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for your valuable advice. Your insights have been immensely helpful, and I truly appreciate the assistance you've provided.
In light of the current situation, I have been considering a solution that involves referencing the results obtained from several tools. Additionally, I plan to conduct a visual inspection, specifically examining the surrounding residues of His. For instance, there may be potential hydrogen bonding interactions, or the presence of acidic or basic residues that could influence the state of His. This analysis will help me make an educated guess regarding the most probable state of His.
Once again, I would like to thank you for your invaluable suggestions. If you have any further advice or feedback, I would be more than willing to listen. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time.
Wishing you all the best!
Sincerely,
Xiaochun
---- Replied Message ----
| From | Steinbrecher, Thomas via AMBER<amber.ambermd.org> |
| Date | 6/12/2023 17:52 |
| To | zhangxiaochun<zxcyfr.163.com> ,
AMBER Mailing List<amber.ambermd.org> |
| Subject | Re: [AMBER] [Sender Not Verified] Regarding Determination of HIS Residue States |
Hi Xiaochun,

I'd be curious if others have more informative answers here, but my guess
is that you are specifying an important problem in modelling of proteins
that remains mostly unsolved. There is no 'correct' state. The three states
of Histidine (plus flips if you want to count the conformations extra) are
sufficiently similar in free energy that each of them can be relevant in
any system, based on the surroundings. Since molecular mechanics based
modelling has to pick a state for each His, you are left with making an
informed guess and that is what the tools you mention try to do, with
reasonable but not perfect levels of success. One way out of the problem
would be simulations which allow the Histidines to change state like
constant pH MD. Another could be to use QM or FEP type calculations to
decide in each specific case what the most important state of a His is. Or
you have to bite the bullet and simulate each possible state (including the
combinatorial explosion problem if you have several His in your pocket) and
try to combine the results.

Kind Regards,

Thomas

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 10:15 AM zhangxiaochun via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>