Re: [AMBER] mdp parameters when using the AMBER force field with GROMACS

From: Arun Srikanth via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 19:00:30 +0200

Hi eddie

Recently I used charmm forcefield to simulate surface tension of liquids. I
generated inputs based on charmm gui (I did my simulations with gromacs).
Although charmm forcefield stipulates that dispersion corrections should
not be used I noticed that when I exclude dispersion corrections the
surface tensions were significantly lower compared to experimental data. I
came to the conclusion that dispersion corrections are indeed needed and
that dispersion correction to the pressure tensor is not negligible.
Whether to use dispersion correction or not then becomes a choice depending
on what property you want to use
Will excluding dispersion correction adversely affect your simulation
results ? (self assembly, surface tension)
Then I believe you have to include dispersion correction and state that in
the manuscript/article/report that you write.
MD engines typically provide two options to account for this, force shit
and energy shift.
I beleive force shift has not yet been implemented in gromacs but LAMMPS
has this option.
Since accounting for tail corrections is force field specific it would not
be mentioned in an MD engine manual. As a courtesy gromacs developers have
mentioned on how to acount for vdw corrections for the charmm force field.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Arun