Re: [AMBER] pmemd simulation exits abnormally

From: Ignacio J. General via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 09:18:04 -0300

Hi Thomas. I have seen this very often when I use membrane systems, and I
am still wondering why this happens but, for what it's worth, here is what
I think and my solution.

I don't know what the volume or density variation pmemd.cuda expects before
halting is, although as you said it's not much, probably only a few
percent, and not noticeable if you look at it in VMD.

My solution, which I now do automatically, is to run several rounds of
short PT equilibrations with cuda (say 10 rounds, several ns each,
depending on system size), and when I do the production run, say 500 ns, I
run it in parts, 5x100 ns or so, so that I give pmemd the opportunity to
recalculate the box size if it is varying. This way, at least, you don't
waste time. As far as I remember, I had no problems following this protocol
for several different systems.

Of course, this shouldn't be needed, as we are supposed to be using an
equilibrated NPT ensemble, where V should be pretty constant, with small
variations of order 1/sqrt(V); but I'm not sure if that is smaller than the
few percent pmemd.cuda expects.

Long ago I compared this protocol to just using pmemd (non cuda), and
everything appeared to be normal. But it would be really nice if eventually
pmemd.cuda could recalculate the box on-the-fly...

Regards,

Ignacio