Re: [AMBER] Can pmemd.cuda.MPI run on gpu with compute mode set as exclusive process?

From: Ross Walker via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 07:35:38 -0400

Hi Siwakorn,

Yes when running the GPU MPI code it has to create an inter-GPU process for the communication. This is prohibited when running the GPUs in exclusive mode hence the error.

Asking why your sysadmin prefers the GPUs to be in exclusive mode is a reasonable question - they just need to properly configure a queuing system that treats GPUs like a consumable. It's pretty easy to do. Assuming though that they don't want to do that you are stuck running single GPU runs I'm afraid. That said the acceleration from multi-GPU is minimal these days with AMBER, unless running very large GB simulations, so there is not much to gain. You are better off running two independent simulations from different starting conditions to improve your overall sampling.

All the best
Ross