[AMBER] Is Potential ABMD Memory Leak Fixed In AMBER22?

From: Owen O'Reilly via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:20:08 -0400

Dear AMBER users,

I emailed the reflector about an issue last month regarding ABMD flooding
RNA simulations in AMBER18 that were crashing with a GPU memory error.
Since then, I have attempted numerous run-based fixes for this issue to no
avail, including:
- Changing the bias energy resolution
- Running exact replicas of previously successful runs
- Using more basic collective variables
- Deactivating periodic boundary conditions
- Manually re-centering the RNA in the solvent box

I recently found out that the issue started shortly after our cluster's GPU
drivers were updated, leading me to conclude that the crashes are the
result of a memory leak somewhere in the ABMD implementation that only
affected newer drivers(I should note that only the flooding mode is
affected; umbrella and analysis modes ran fine). I was just wondering if
this was a known issue, and if upgrading to AMBER22 would be sufficient to
solve it? Any help/experiences that others have had with this would be
appreciated. In the meantime, I plan to just run a larger volume of
simulations for shorter durations to avoid exceeding whatever memory buffer
is overflowing.

Best,
Owen O'Reilly

--
Owen O'Reilly | He/him | SJU(USci legacy) Class of 2024
"Be kind, for every person you meet is fighting a hard battle."