Re: [AMBER] Amber2020 and Amber2022 comparability issue: alchemical free energy calc

From: Michael T Kim via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:51:26 -0800

Hi amber community,

Re-opening this thread. We performed additional troubleshooting experiments
(as Prof. Case suggested, we performed short simulations using either
amber20/amber22, starting from a common restart and using the same
explicitly defined ig value on the same GPU hardware). The experimental
design was as follows:
- we tested a TI system with mixed potentials (alchemical transformation
with softcore, lambda = 0.5) and a non-TI system.
- we simulated 1000 steps of each system on either amber20 or amber22 on
the same node, same GPU configuration
- each simulation was performed in duplicate to confirm deterministic
trajectories (e.g. to make sure amber20 vs amber20 yields same results)

We compared .out files using vimdiff

Results:
As expected, duplicate simulations of amber20 vs amber20 yielded exact same
results. Duplicate simulations of amber22 vs amber22 also yielded exact
same results.
For the non-TI system, amber20 and amber22 yielded deterministic results.
For the TI system however, amber20 and amber22 did not yield deterministic
results.

Upon closer examination, the only parameter that looked off to us was
"gti_syn_mass" in amber22. According to the Amber22 manual, this should
default to gti_syn_mass = 0, however the default for our simulations was
setting gti_syn_mass = 1. Would be great to hear from the community which
gti_syn_mass parameter is correct to replicate amber20 behavior in amber22.
Of course we will test this ourselves by explicitly setting gti_syn_mass =
0 and seeing if we get deterministic trajectories between amber20 vs.
amber22 for TI systems. Thank you for your expert advice,

mike and skanda