Re: [AMBER] Issues with nucleic acid simulations

From: Prithviraj Nandigrami via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:47:03 -0500

Dear Experts,

Specifically, this is the error message I am getting:

ERROR: Calculation halted. Periodic box dimensions have changed too much
from their initial values.
  Your system density has likely changed by a large amount, probably from
  starting the simulation from a structure a long way from equilibrium.

  [Although this error can also occur if the simulation has blown up for
some reason]

  The GPU code does not automatically reorganize grid cells and thus you
  will need to restart the calculation from the previous restart file.
  This will generate new grid cells and allow the calculation to continue.
  It may be necessary to repeat this restarting multiple times if your
system
  is a long way from an equilibrated density.

  Alternatively you can run with the CPU code until the density has
converged
  and then switch back to the GPU code.

I am running the minimization, heating, equilibration, and production
stages as follows:

srun --gres=gpu:1 /usr/local/bio/amber20/bin/pmemd -O -i mini.in -o
mini.out -p input_methylated.solvated.prmtop -c
input_methylated.solvated.rst7 -r mini.rst7 -inf mini.mdinfo -ref
input_methylated.solvated.rst7

srun --gres=gpu:1 /usr/local/bio/amber20/bin/pmemd.cuda -O -i heat.in -o
heat.out -p input_methylated.solvated.prmtop -c mini.rst7 -r heat.rst7 -inf
heat.mdinfo -x heat.mdcrd -ref mini.rst7

srun --gres=gpu:1 /usr/local/bio/amber20/bin/pmemd.cuda -O -i eq.in -o
eq.out -p input_methylated.solvated.prmtop -c heat.rst7 -r eq.rst7 -inf
eq.mdinfo -x eq.mdcrd -ref heat.rst7

srun --gres=gpu:1 /usr/local/bio/amber20/bin/pmemd.cuda -O -i md.in -o
md.mdout -p input_methylated.solvated.prmtop -c md.rst7 -r md.rst7 -inf
md.mdinfo -x md.nc

Also, the input files look like this:

*mini.in <http://mini.in>*

Minimzing the system
with 25 kcal/mol restraints
on RNA, 500 steps of steepest
descent and 500 of
conjugated gradient
 &cntrl
 imin=1,
 ntx=1,
 irest=0,
 ntpr=50,
 ntf=1,
 ntb=1,
 cut=9.0,
 nsnb=10,
 ntr=1,
 maxcyc=10000,
 ncyc=5000,
 ntmin=1,
 restraintmask=':1-67',
 restraint_wt=25.0,
 &end
 &ewald
   ew_type = 0, skinnb = 5.0,
 &end

*heat.in <http://heat.in>*

Heating the system with 25 kcal/mol
restraints on RNA, V=const
 &cntrl
 imin=0, ntx=1, ntpr=500,
 ntwr=500, ntwx=500, ntwe=500,
 nscm=5000,
 ntf=2, ntc=2,
 ntb=1, ntp=0,
 nstlim=1000000, t=0.0, dt=0.002,
 cut=9.0,
 tempi=100.0, ntt=1,
 ntr=1,nmropt=1,
 restraintmask=':1-67',
 restraint_wt=25.0,
 &end
 &wt type='TEMP0',istep1=0,
  istep2=5000, value1=100.0,value2=300.0,
 &end
 &wt type='TEMP0',istep1=5001,
   istep2=50000, value1=300.0,value2=300.0,
 &end
 &wt type='END', &end

*eq.in <http://eq.in>*

Equilibrating the system
with 0.5 kcal/mol restraints
on RNA, during 500ps, at
constant T= 300K & P=1ATM
and coupling = 0.2
 &cntrl
 imin=0, ntx=5, ntpr=500,
 ntwr=500, ntwx=500,
 ntwe=500,
 nscm=5000,
 ntf=2, ntc=2,
 ntb=2, ntp=1, tautp=0.2,
 taup=0.2,
 nstlim=1000000,
 t=0.0, dt=0.002,
 cut=9.0,
 ntt=1,
 ntr=1,
 irest=1,
 restraintmask=':1-67',
 restraint_wt=0.5,
 &end
 &ewald
 ew_type = 0, skinnb = 5.0,
 &end

*md.in <http://md.in>*

production
 &cntrl
    imin=0, ntx=5,
    ntpr=1000,ntwr=1000,
    ntwx=1000,ntwe=1000,
    nscm=1000,
    ntf=2, ntc=2,
    ntb=2, ntp=1, tautp=5.0, taup=5.0,
    nstlim=10000000, t=0.0, dt=0.002,
    cut=9.0,
    ntt=1,
    irest=1,
    iwrap=1,
    ioutfm=1,
 &end
 &ewald
    ew_type = 0, skinnb = 5.0,
 &end

I tried applying different restraints and/or using a smaller/larger water
box dimension but to no avail. Running the minimization using the CPU code
does not help either.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
PN