Re: [AMBER] Phase space overlap questions in alchemical free energy calculations

From: Liao via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 15:17:40 -0400

To follow up on my second question, regarding why potential energy distribution overlap is used to judge phase-space overlap, I found this description in a 2005 paper, (J. Chem. Phys. 123, 054103 2005)

"Energy is the key quantity characterizing the importance
of a configuration to a given system, so it is appropriate to
consider energy distributions when trying to understand
phase-space relations."

which seems to explain why energy overlap is used to judge phase-space overlap. But does it hold true in practical cases? Because a big ligand and a small ligand can have very different potential energies that do not overlap, like a long alkyl-substituted benzene and a simple benzene, but the larger molecule should well include the phase space of the smaller molecule. Vice versa, if 2 ligands bind to a single large protein pocket, but occupies different ends of the pocket, they can have similiar potential energies, but have no phase-space overlap.