Re: [AMBER] Unwrapping in MSD calculations with pytraj/cpptraj

From: Daniel Roe via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:56:28 -0400

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 12:59 AM Cianna Calia <ccalia.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the recommendation about stfcdiffusion! I've read the manual's info on this but I'm still not entirely clear on how it works - Does it define the atoms to calculate MSD for based on distance from mask2 only at an initial/reference frame and then follow those atoms through the trajectory regardless of whether they stay within the distance range? (In which case how would it be different from using the usual diffusion command with a distance-based mask that chooses the atoms based on the distances at a reference frame?) Or does stfcdiffusion not select atoms based on the region but rather only calculate MSD for whatever selected atoms while they are within the region? (In which case how does it handle when different atoms go in and out of the defined region?)

I think it's the latter (only follows atoms while they're in the
region). I think it won't track individual stats - just when a water
enters the region it contributes to the diffusion until it leaves.
Does that make sense?

Next week I'll take a stab at making this work with the current
diffusion command.

-Dan