Re: [AMBER] MDGX Error Problem with Recognizing Torsion Type

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 20:08:22 -0400

I've reproduced your problem, and re-run with "torsions 1" which will
activate fitting for all torsions. There are no torsions involving the (H1
type) HB2 and HB3 atoms, either. In fact, the report shows that the only
torsion terms in the system involve the backbone. Likely what's happened
is that the original parm.dat / frcmod files do not have any torsion terms
for the CYM side chain. The original parm10.dat has only an X -CX-CT-X
parameter that might be of general applicability, but it seems that it does
not get applied in your file. The frcmod.ff14SB file has these dihedrals,
which are what I think you want to target for parameterization:

C -CX-2C-SH 1 0.075 0.0 -4. C
C -CX-2C-SH 1 0.251 0.0 -3.
C -CX-2C-SH 1 0.337 180.0 -2.
C -CX-2C-SH 1 0.269 180.0 1.
N -CX-2C-SH 1 0.033 0.0 -4.
N -CX-2C-SH 1 0.251 0.0 -3.
N -CX-2C-SH 1 0.486 180.0 -2.
N -CX-2C-SH 1 0.154 0.0 1.
CX-2C-SH-HS 1 0.030 0.0 -4.
CX-2C-SH-HS 1 0.252 0.0 -3.
CX-2C-SH-HS 1 0.612 0.0 -2.
CX-2C-SH-HS 1 0.092 0.0 1.

Those hinge (literally) on the 2C atom type, which replaced CT as the beta
carbon type for some amino acids in ff14SB (see also type 3C). So my
thinking is that you need to look back at the way this prmtop was
constructed, because mdgx has given you a clue that leads to the fact that
the molecule you have made has literally no side chain torsions at all.
This is a feature (detecting missing dihedrals that should be present to
describe some twist) that would be much easier to code in my new C++
framework, and is meticulous enough that unit testing with numerous hazard
cases would have to be implemented. But that's the best answer I can give
you for now: something prior to your mdgx step has created a molecule with
no torsions at all. Re-rolling with a 2C beta carbon atom type will
probably fix your problem by helping tleap to implement the torsions in
frcmod.ff14SB. You will then have a substrate to optimize.

Dave