Re: [AMBER] Single-Molecule Mixing of Force Fields

From: Dr. Anselm Horn <anselm.horn.fau.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:31:26 +0100

Nathan,

parameterization is IMHO not the ideal task for getting started with MD,
especially if you intend to use the new ff19SB force field.

In principle, one can mix parameters of different force fields;
recommendations about that are given in the manuals: e.g. gaff(2) is
generally considered to be well suited to work with ff14SB.
However, if you use different force fields within the same residue
(protein + organic), you end up with different sets of atom types, i.e.
uppercase (protein) and lowercase (gaff), which requires special, mostly
manually defined cross-terms with mixed atom types (e.g. torsions); the
respective parameters may, however, be obtained from already existing
parameter lists.

Alternatively, one could use/add specialized protein atom types and just
import the then missing parameters from the other force field.
In your case, you had to decide whether your total system is more like a
protein with some non-standard amino acid residues, or like an organic
compound which has some similarity to a protein. Then you could choose
your 'main' force field accordingly.

In any case, you'd need to somehow validate your parameter assignment
via MD simulations to see whether they work as expected.

In my (limited) experience, many parameterizations or parameter
assignments involve manual steps and decisions that are not easily
performed automagically. It depends on your system and your research
question.

But others may chime in here and provide more helpful comments...

All the best

Anselm

Bioinformatik | NHR.FAU
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
Germany