Re: [AMBER] Missing mtkpp directory after installation of AmberTools21

From: Pengfei Li <ambermailpengfei.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 21:24:56 -0500

Hi Anthony,

> I'm attempting to parameterise 4 calcium ions and 2 zinc ions in a metalloprotease. The last time I parameterised metal for a protein was quite a few years ago and I did it by writing my own 2nd derivative of the Hessian-based model using a Gaussian log file. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Gaussian license anymore. I've requested a GAMESS-US license, but I've never used that before.

For the Ca2+ ions, a nonbonded model would be a suitable choice. For Zn2+ ions, you can use the bonded model. You can check this webpage for more information about the difference between the bonded model and nonbonded model: https://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial20/index.php <https://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial20/index.php>.

> Are there any empirical calculations I can perform to derive force constants? To satisfy charges I believe I can still use the RED server.

Yes, for Zn2+, there is an option 2e for step 2, which corresponds to an empirical method to derive the force constants for Zn2+ containing systems: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jctc.7b00773 <https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jctc.7b00773>.

Hope it helps,
Pengfei