Re: [AMBER] Troubleshooting long idle times in pmemd.MPI

From: Kevin Keane <kkeane.sandiego.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:45:31 -0700

Thank you for the initial help with this! In the meantime, I confirmed that
the problem also occurs with the non-MPI version of pmemd (from Amber 16).

My initial assumption was wrong. The problem isn't long idle times, but
rather that pmemd consistently runs at approximately 6% CPU utilization
even though it has the whole CPU to itself.

The storage file system is NFS with locking turned off, and access to that
file system is generally fast; Amber is the only application that exhibits
this behavior, and only since we rebuilt the cluster using RedHat 8.

Have you seen this before, and/or any idea what may cause it?

Kevin Keane | Systems Architect | University of San Diego ITS |
kkeane.sandiego.edu

*Pronouns: he/him/his*Maher Hall, 162 |5998 Alcalá Park | San Diego, CA
92110-2492 | 619.260.6859 | Text: 760-721-8339

*REMEMBER! **No one from IT at USD will ever ask to confirm or supply your
password*.
These messages are an attempt to steal your username and password. Please
do not reply to, click the links within, or open the attachments of these
messages. Delete them!