[AMBER] Installation Ambertools20 Mac M1 (arm64)

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:59:40 +0100

Hello,

I just received my new MacBook Pro M1 (arm64), and I have some (expected) troubles to install ambertools20 on it.

Apple does not provide any fortran compiler so I used gcc (gfortran-10) installed with homebrew (modified run_cmake accordingly).

I’ve seen that there are some compatibility issues with gfortran 10, but there are no earlier version (gfortran 8 or 9) for the arm64 Macs. So no other choice that to use gfortran 10.

So far, cmake runs ok.

Then I got some errors during compilation that are solved adding the argument '-fallow-argument-mismatch’ to the fortran compiler flags (in compilerflags)

Now I get a linking error for cifparse:

[ 11%] Building C object AmberTools/src/cifparse/CMakeFiles/cifparse.dir/cifparse.c.o
[ 11%] Building C object AmberTools/src/cifparse/CMakeFiles/cifparse.dir/lex.cif.c.o
[ 11%] Building C object AmberTools/src/cifparse/CMakeFiles/cifparse.dir/cifp.tab.c.o
[ 11%] Linking C shared library libcifparse.dylib
duplicate symbol '_cifpin' in:
    CMakeFiles/cifparse.dir/cifparse.c.o
    CMakeFiles/cifparse.dir/lex.cif.c.o
ld: 1 duplicate symbol for architecture arm64
make[2]: *** [AmberTools/src/cifparse/libcifparse.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [AmberTools/src/cifparse/CMakeFiles/cifparse.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I do not know how to solve this (I’m no programmer :).

Any chance that someone managed to install ambertools on an ARM Mac and explain how?

Meanwhile I can use an X86_64 version of Ambertools19 with rosetta 2 (works ok)

My best

Florian