Re: [AMBER] Amber 4/pre Amber 7 binaries?

From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 12:35:08 -0500

I think that's probably unlikely. Even in cases where cases where a
piece of software compiles fine on either, if it builds against a
specific version of a library (whatever.so.5), it's probably not going
to work out on the newer one. Not sure when Amber 4 was from,
though/what OS would have been current. I don't think I've come across
older than 11 myself. Would that then be from 2004? So I guess RHEL
2-3/Debian 3.0 timeframe?

On 12/16/20 12:54 AM, Kenneth Huang wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Yeah, that was my next try, since I naively thought sander
> shouldn't have changed too much that present day libraries may
> work? Though I've had little luck in finding any one with the
> source code or much documentation from that far back- I knew it was
> a very, very long stretch, given how far back I'm digging.
>
> Best,
>
> Kenneth
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:20 PM Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd find a copy of the source and compile it. Probably
>> sander/cpu wouldn't be a lot of work to do. A binary from then
>> might expect old libs to be in place.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> On 12/15/20 2:37 PM, Kenneth Huang wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> A very strange question- does anyone happen to have, or know
>>> anyone who
>> has
>>> the old binaries for Amber 4 gathering dust on a hard disk?
>>>
>>> I'm having something of a debate about whether the minimization
>>> procedure in what was shipped in Amber 4 (assuming done in
>>> sander?) would be comperable to minimization in contemporary
>>> Amber (specifically sander in Amber 16,18, 20) builds given the
>>> same setup, parameters, etc. Given
>> sander
>>> is one of the older parts of Amber, my thought is that it
>>> shouldn't have changed much?
>>>
>>> Barring the unlikely chance anyone has still code that old
>>> around still, would there be any good way to test to see if the
>>> minization changed in a signficant way? My first thought was to
>>> find a minimized test structure
>> in
>>> the source code that might date back from that time, but I
>>> haven't had
>> much
>>> luck in sifting through the test folder so far.

- --
#BlackLivesMatter
____
 ||_// the State | Ryan Novosielski - novosirj.rutgers.edu
 || \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 ~*~ RBHS Campus
 || \\ of NJ | Office of Advanced Res. Comp. - MSB C630, Newark
      `'