[AMBER] Amber20 installation for MPI, CUDA issues.

From: Luka Bilić <Luka.Bilic.irb.hr>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 20:38:15 +0100

Dear all,

I've tried to install Amber20 using Cmake.
Unfortunately pmemd.cuda doesn't recognize GPU's.

The operating system is Ubuntu 20
GPU's are 3x Nvidia 2080Ti

Before Cmake installation I did these:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo snap install cmake --classic
#this installed cmake version 3.18.4

sudo apt-get install -y bison
sudo apt-get install -y flex
sudo apt-get install intel-mkl-full
sudo apt-get install libnetcdf-dev libnetcdff-dev
sudo apt-get install libbz2-dev
sudo apt install libboost-all-dev

sudo apt install nvidia-cuda-toolkit
#this installed cuda 10.1

By engaging ./run_cmake I found issues regarding gcc-9 and g++-9
This I "fixed" by:

sudo update-alternatives --config gcc #gcc8 chosen
sudo update-alternatives --config g++ #g++8 chosen

However I left out gfortran-9 (that I did not change to lower version)

My run_cmake was this:

# Assume this is Linux:

   cmake $AMBER_PREFIX/amber20_src \
     -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$AMBER_PREFIX/amber20 \
     -DCOMPILER=GNU \
     -DMPI=TRUE -DCUDA=TRUE -DINSTALL_TESTS=TRUE \
     -DDOWNLOAD_MINICONDA=TRUE -DMINICONDA_USE_PY3=TRUE \
     2>&1 | tee cmake.log

This results in installation that doesn't seem to have anything wrong
(on the first glance) There were some fortran warnings though.
However, running pmemd.cuda results with this:

~/AMBER/amber20/bin/pmemd.cuda -O -i mdtest.in -o mdtest.out -p
diaC-wat_rHPA.parm7 -c diaC-wat_rHPA.crd -r diaC-wat_rHPA-CUDA.crd -x
diaC-wat_rHPA-CUDA.mdcrd -inf mdinfoCUDA

cudaGetDeviceCount failed no CUDA-capable device is detected

My guess is that I might need new nvidia drivers?
However, with the detailed setup given some of you with more
experience could provide me with better solutions on how to install
amber20.

I would like MPI, CUDA (and CUDA MPI) installation so as to be able to
use maximum of these 3x 2080Ti and CPU.

Thank you in advance.
Yours Luka Bilić