Re: [AMBER] How to deal with oxygen atom on Fe=O of Compound I (heme enzyme, P450)

From: Pengfei Li <ambermailpengfei.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:36:01 -0400

Hi Vaibhav,

> On Sep 20, 2020, at 2:54 AM, Vaibhav Dixit <vaibhavadixit.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Pengfei Li and Amber community,
> I have a query regarding the role and expected names for the gaussian log
> and fchk files required for MCPB.py steps 2 and 3.
> I'm assuming that the small_opt fchk and log files generated from the g09
> job are both important for step 3.

The small model opt fchk file will be used only in step 2 (I assumed you used the Seminario method, whereas if you use the Z-matrix method, the small model log file will be used in step 2), and the large model log file will be used only in step 3.

> I ran the small model g09 calculation, but the geometry changed
> significantly where carboxylate of HEM formed (unexpected) H-bond with H of
> HIS.
> Thus I ran another job after freezing the HIS-N*H* hydrogen, and
> carboxylate carbons (*C*OO) which finished correctly (this I named
> prot_small_opt2.log). Then generated the fchk file from the
> prot_small_opt2.chk file. As a result, I have two log files for small_opt
> jobs.

No matter what procedure you use, finally you need to make sure that you get a local minima for the small model, and the corresponding coordinates and Hessian information stored in the fchk file (I assumed you used the Seminario method) which you are going to use for the MCPB.py modeling.

> Large model g09 job is running at the time of writing this.
>
> The script doesn't require to explicitly specify the names of the log and
> fchk files to be read.
> Thus, will the script work as expected in the presence of multiple
> small_opt log files in the same folder?

Unless specified, the script will read the one with name as {group_name}_small_opt.fchk in the working folder.

But there is an option to specify the fchk/log file you want to use specifically (through the --fchk option for the fchk file, and through the --logf file option for the log file), as shown in the MCPB.py usage:

Usage: MCPB.py -i input_file -s/--step step_number
               [--logf Gaussian/GAMESS-US output logfile]
               [--fchk Gaussian fchk file]

  -h, --help show this help message and exit
  -i INPUTFILE Input file name
  -s STEP, --step=STEP Step number
  --logf=LOGFILE Gaussian/GAMESS-US output logfile
  --fchk=FCHKFILE Gaussian fchk file

In this way, you do not have to rename the file, but just to tell MCPB.py about the file name directly.

Hope it helps,
Pengfei