Re: [AMBER] Adding catalytic Magnesium ion

From: Juraj Dobias <juraj.dobias.uochb.cas.cz>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 09:27:50 +0200

Hello Jisha,

Did you check for crystal structures of similar proteins with Mg ions?
You could then do homology model.

 From my experience Mg ions (especially two of them that are close each
other) are not tightly bound to protein and require anionic ligand to
compensate positive charge. I worked a little bit with nucleotides,
whose triphospate group was bound to protein via two Mg cations. Also
all kinases that I studied contained Mg ions only if ATP was bound.

But you can always use your intuition and hope that MD will equilibriate
to something meaningful.

Juraj