[AMBER] Fw: partial charge calculation (RESP) using gaussian09/antechamber (ambertools17) on a symmetrical molecule

From: BLUNTZER Marie <s1772078.sms.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:16:01 +0000

good morning

I am computing the MEP/ESP using gaussian09 of 100 conformers (generated using RDkit) of a symmetrical molecule using the HF/6-31* basis set.

Then I am using antechamber to compute the RESP
using the command
antechamber -i %s.log -fi gout -o %s.mol2 -fo mol2 -c resp -at amber -eq 2 -pf -dr n at
which as I understand it, calls a certain number of background scripts and notably the resp command

On my system it picked up the symmetry for 81 conformers returning me identical partial charges for equivalent atoms but for 19 conformers the symmetry was not picked up and equivalent atoms are not assigned identical charges. The issues appear when building the ANTECHAMBER_RESP1.IN and ANTECHAMBER_RESP2.IN files.
I tweaked and decomposed the antechamber command replacing the ANTECHAMBER_RESP$.IN by one of a conformer that had picked up the symmetry and that gave me the expected output, but that is a bit troublesome ...

Is that a bug? Has it been fixed in more recent versions of antechamber ?

Best

Marie