Re: [AMBER] Amber performance

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 19:19:45 -0400

Hi Jonathan,

If you are using Amber 20 there was, and to some extent still is, a performance regression on Turing (20XX) hardware. There have been some performance patches released that mitigate some of this so if you are using AMBER 20 not being fully up to date could be your issue. I would apply the latest patches and recompile.

Thermal throttling is also a possible issue here. One way to check for this is let the card cool down to ambient temperature and then set the benchmark to only have sufficient steps to run for approximately 60 seconds. Let it run and see what it reports at the end of the mdout file for performance. Then repeat it with enough steps that it runs for 5 mins or so and compare. This will give you an idea of how much it is throttling.

Depending on the case design you have you may be able to improve things by setting the case fans to 100%. This helps a lot with ducked systems - e.g. a 2U rack mount with 4 GPUs but has less impact on desktop like systems. It's also possible to override the fan speed for the 2080TI using the coolbits setting in xorg.conf. It's a longggg time since I played with that though so I am not sure how effective it works these days.

All the best
Ross