Re: [AMBER] Query regarding Dialanine peptide 2d ABMD tutorial in the NFE category

From: SHAUNAK BADANI <shaunak.badani.research.iiit.ac.in>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 20:26:28 +0000

Respected Amber Community,
           While I could not complete the dialanine peptide tutorial because of the reasons stated above, The pmemd.cuda.MPI command gave the following error :

```
gpu_neighbor_list_setup :: Small box detected, with <= 2 cells in one or more
                           dimensions. The current GPU code has been deemed
                           unsafe for these situations. Please alter the
                           cutoff to increase the number of hash cells, make
                           use of the CPU code, or (if absolutely necessary)

````
         However, I was able to complete the proline pentapeptide abmd tutorial after using 40 cores on 8 walkers, using mpirun and pmemd.MPI. The run took about 2.5 hours. I ran the nfe-umbrella-slice to generate the FE.dat file, and then used the plot.sh​ file to generate the plot, however, that gave the image :
https://imgur.com/MfnFsG
[https://i.imgur.com/MfnFsGJ.png?fb]<https://imgur.com/MfnFsGJ>
imgur.com<https://imgur.com/MfnFsGJ>
Imgur: The magic of the Internet
imgur.com

Which did not match with the one in the tutorial. However, when I plot the data in FE.dat using matplotlib, it gave me the following image :
https://imgur.com/rhSHe6A
[https://i.imgur.com/rhSHe6A.png?fb]<https://imgur.com/rhSHe6A>
imgur.com<https://imgur.com/rhSHe6A>
Imgur: The magic of the Internet
imgur.com

Which matches very closely with the tutorial. The questions that I'd like to ask, are as follows :

  1. Has anyone encountered the vlimit error before and managed to fix it?
  2. Why doesn't pmemd.cuda.MPI work, or kindly explain how to fix the small box error, or any workarounds?
  3. Is 2.5 hours for a run on 40 cores for 8 walkers too long for a small system like proline pentapeptide?
  4. Is there any issue with how I ran the gnuplot command ? Here is my FE.dat file output :

https://pastebin.pl/view/108d6d2a

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Shaunak Badani,
4th Year Undergraduate at IIIT Hyderabad