Re: [AMBER] [EXTERNAL] Re: Amber99SB force field

From: Smith, Micholas D. <smithmd.ornl.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 18:54:46 +0000

The reviewer is incorrect. Both ff99SB and charmm27 (which is really charmm22+ nucleic acids and cmap in gromacs) have alpha-helical bias (depending on the peptide). Generally, ff99SB is well behaved for well folded proteins (there are a few exceptions in the literature) and is fairly standard. If you do need to re-run to satisfy the reviewer, moving to ff14SB or ff19SB (I would actually stick to ff14SB as it has a longer track record and likely you can find additional benchmarks to respond to reviewer comments with) I think would be advisable.

Additionally, charmm27 is actually quite old, (charmm36m is now out) so you may want to include that point somewhere in your response.

-Micholas