Re: [AMBER] creating parameters for a thioglycoside

From: Karl Kirschner <k.n.kirschner.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 20:28:22 +0200

Hello Rosa,

  I'm guessing that you need to create these parameters by hand, such that
the atom types for the two force fields are accounted for. I think the
problem likes at the parmchk2 step, which doesn't cobble force-field
together that have different atom types (e.g. gaff and Glycam06). For
example, assuming that you are using gaff for the sulfur atom (e.g. s2),
then you need a bond parameter that is called s2-Cg. A first approximation
would be to take an equivalent parameter out of gaff.dat (of gaff2.dat) and
rename the atom types. Another way to do this would be to generate some QM
target potential energy curves, optimize the force-field parameters that
are missing, and then validate them using some test molecules and
experimental data. But that takes some time to do. Your molecule looks
pretty rigid around the sulfur atom (i.e. three rings), where puckering
would give you the most conformational flexibility. In this case, using the
gaff-Glycam06 combination might be sufficient. But note that this isn't a
"standard" procedure, so keep that in mind when you try to interpret the
resulting data.

Bests,
Karl