Re: [AMBER] if the ligand doesn't bind when it should, what does it say about quality of my simulations and what can I do?

From: Wesley Michael Botello-Smith <wmsmith.uci.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 14:37:07 -0700

I don't know if you checked already or not, but did you make sure that all
side chains are in their appropriate protonation state for the given
conformation? I.e. did you run something like prop-pka or a constant pH
simulation to test this?
If a nearby residue is in the wrong protonation state, that could make a
big difference. For instance if you have histidines near the binding site
it is possible that they may not be in the standard neutral protonation
state when CAMP is present.

I think your third idea (using NMR restraints) is probably the next thing
you should check before fiddling with the temperature or langevin damping
constant.
Using NMR or Collective Variable restraints to keep a ligand in place is
fairly common practice. At the very least, its a good idea during heating,
density, and equilibration stages. I.e. Keep it restrained while you
release the backbone restraints that were used during heating and density
and run a short (nanosecond or two) equilibration stage with the restraint
in place. Then slowly release the restraint. This way you can make sure
that its not getting jarred loose while the protein is acclimating to the
simulation environment.