[AMBER] Some short Catalina experience

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 13:49:13 -0400

For what it's worth:

I tried to follow as closely as possible the simple instructions at
ambermd.org/Installation.php using Catalina:

   reinstalled xquartz
   installed Xcode version 11.1
   installed the Mojave version of gfortran
   set my MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET variable to '10.15'
   installed a fresh miniconda version as configure suggested

   ./configure -macAccelerate clang
   source amber.sh
   make install
   make test

No compilation problems, no missing include files, etc. I did have to
tell OSX to allow the gfortran libraries to be used (even though they
came from an "unknown" developer.)

Tests (so far only with the serial version) gave some funny errors
for some cpptraj tests (especially with DSSP), but no other errors.
Python-related stuff seemed to work fine.

The cpptraj errors certainly need to be looked into, and are odd, given
that nobody else has been reporting these sorts of error. On the other
hand, I'm not seeing the difficulties others have reported.

...more later, including efforts to use the MacPorts compilers.

...dac