Re: [AMBER] Amber Installation Problem on Mac: update

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 12:17:08 -0400

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019, David Case wrote:

>One part of the problem is that gcc from macports seems to be looking
>for an include path that was removed from XCode11. You could try this:
>
>cd /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs
>
>If there is not a soft link from MacOSX10.14.sdk -> MacOSX.sdk, you can
>create one;

I take this back: creating such a soft link solves some problems but not
others.

My best guess now: gcc from macports is expecting to find the
MacOSX10.14.sdk to get its header files. But Xcode11 is only providing
a MacOSX10.15.sdk. It looks to me like Xcode11 is really designed to go
with OSX10.15, even though Apple pushed out the Xcode upgrade before
announcing any public availability for Catalina (aka OSX10.15).

Even after Catalina is released, we will have to wait for Macports (or
HomeBrew) to upgrade their releases, so that the compilers will look for
the headers Apple is now providing.

For me, for Amber:

1. Xcode11 with OSX10.14 seems fine if I use clang.

2. Xcode10.3 with OSX10.4 and macports gcc8 seems fine.

("seems fine" may be misleading, since there may be glitches I am
missing....)

....dac