[AMBER] cloud vs purchase

From: Fabian Glaser <fabian.glaser.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 10:25:38 +0300

Dear Amber experts,

I would like you about your experience about running amber extensive simulations on a cloud (amazon or any other) vs purchasing a new GPU x 4 machine. I have no experience at all with clouds.

Does anybody uses clouds for extensive MD?
Do you have a cost estimation comparison (per ns x day for example)?
How difficult it is to deal with implementation and compilation issues on a cloud?

My comparison should be based on purchasing a new GPU X 4 machine, for which I would invest let’s say about 6000$, and comparing it to running on a cloud instead.

Thanks a lot!!

Best,

Fabian

Fabian Glaser PhD

Bioinformatics Knowledge Unit - BKU
The Lorry I. Lokey Center for Life Sciences and Engineering
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Web http://bku.technion.ac.il/
Tel +972 (0) 4 8293701