Re: [AMBER] Posits preparing to pounce on Floating Point

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 13:44:02 -0400

Jim Conyngham's comment in the section below the article summarizes it:

"Many of the claims in this article are simply impossible on their face."

You cannot do away with roundoff error and also claim that the size of the
number influences its accuracy. We already do a few of the things that
posits claim to do in pmemd, using a known size of the number to represent
in order to go more precision out of the int32 format than would be
possible with fp32. But the notion that 32-bit posits, which devote some
bits to telling us how many bits to have in the exponent before they even
get to the fraction, would approach the accuracy of double-precision
numbers with more fraction bits than the posits have bits is ridiculous.
This sounds like a very credulous reporter.

Dave