Re: [AMBER] electrostatic energy of mmgbsa decomposition

From: Josh Berryman <the.real.josh.berryman.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 13:49:10 +0200

Hi Tan,

>>TOTAL term or the sum of Electrostatic term and Polar Solvation?
It iis better to take the pair than to look at them individually, yes

the right calculation to run depends on how you want to relate your
simulation to reality, and what is the type of 'effect' that you are
interested in. If you want to know the structural or functional effects of
charged residues, compare two MD simulations, one of which has the charged
residues mutated to alanine. Use cpptraj to count hydrogen bonds, or
pymol to make nice graphics, and you are done. This is a great simulation
to do because it can be compared to experiment. Another
empirically-relatable simulation is to turn up the amount of salt, thus
reducing the range of electrostatic interactions.

If you want to analyse thermodynamics and write down a number for some kind
of energy contribution per-residue then this is philosophically difficult
as protein-solvent interaction is not just the sum of the individual amino
acids. This type of calculation makes the most sense when you have a
well-defined reference: when you find the free energy gain to make a salt
bridge, for instance, you have to have an idea whether you are comparing
against the same structure in an unfolded conformation without the salt
bridge, or against a mutant with a non-polar sidechain, or against the same
salt bridge but with electrostatics somehow deleted. The last is easiest,
you just use parmed to set the charge of the appropriate sidechains to
zero, but this is also the least physical.

Dr Josh Berryman
Uni Luxembourg