Re: [AMBER] Modeling of flexible enzyme: on the selection of the thermostat

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 14:51:15 -0400

Langevin is a better thermostat than Berendsen for most applications, but
at most useful strengths it will interfere with dynamical calculations such
as diffusion or residence times. (Because, what's physical about having
particles of an ethereal bath collide with every atom at every step of the
simulation?) The Andersen thermostat is also going to interfere with
diffusion calculations. In either case, you must make sure that you are
not restarting the simulation with the same random seed, as repeating
sequences of random numbers will drive artifacts. These include unfolded
proteins in the strong case (restarts every 10,000 steps), slight
instability in the more sinister weak case (restarts every 100,000 steps),
with the effects becoming negligible below a Langevin gamma_ln of 3.0 and
restarts every 1,000,000 steps.

The only thermostat that wouldn't seriously affect diffusion would be a
weak Berendsen thermostat, but for dynamics you'd probably want to just go
to NVE anyway. Note, however, that I'm not using dynamics and structural
degeneracy interchangeably. If your protein has a floppy loop then
simulations with any thermostat, Langevin included, will explore its
conformations just fine.

Dave