Re: [AMBER] MCPB.py & error: coordinates number in fchk file are not consistent with the atom number

From: Pengfei Li <ambermailpengfei.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 22:03:02 -0500

Dear Prasanth,

The atom names in fchk file (if there are, but I do not think so) do not matter at all, only the Hessian matrix in the fchk file matter, which does not have atom name information at all.

There are only four steps of MCPB.py modeling, and all of them are essential. Skipping a step will not work.

If your final force constant calculation has the same amount of atoms as the small model PDB file, and only the sequence is different. You can use the local minima structure you got, and manually re-sequence the structure according to the atom sequence in the small model PDB file, and then carry out a new force constant calculation. Finally the generated fchk file for the new calculations can be used.

If your final force constant calculation does not have the same amount of atoms as the small model PDB file, I would suggest you to redo completely. But you can refer the local minima structure you already got (again, need to delete or add atoms to match exactly the atom number and sequence in the small model PDB file) for doing minimization and force constant calculation. This is because there will be a Hessian matrix generated in the force constant calculation, and sequence of the matrix is completely depend on the atom sequence in the calculations. Any adding or deleting atoms will shift the matrix sequence (and MCPB.py can not recover it to the “original" sequence by itself).

Moreover, I would not suggest you to change the generated PDB files and fingerprint files, in order to match the atom sequence in the quantum calculations, because that may cause more problems. Just keep the small model PDB file as it was generated.

The above principles also apply for the Merz-Kollman charge calculations for the large model.

Hope it helps,
Pengfei