Re: [AMBER] pi-pi And Aromatic Interactions

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.muni.cz>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 00:56:19 +0200 (MEST)

Just short comment. One has to differentiate between
INTRINSIC stacking (potential energy surface) and free energies of
stacking, i.e., population of stacked vs. unstacked, which
is a results of numerous energy terms, not just the direct base
to base (intrinsic) interactions.
These are VERY different physical-chemistry processes.
Free energies of stacking typically do not correlate well
with potential energies of stacking.
I spent years with benchmark QM calculations, and to my opinion
AMBER does reasonably well for the intrinsic base stacking.
We currently work on a new QM benchmark (ms in revision), no
dramatic change of the overall picture.

Some minireview is here:
  Nature and Magnitude of Aromatic Base Stacking in DNA and RNA: Quantum
Chemistry, Molecular Mechanics, and Experiment
Sponer et al.. BIOPOLYMERS, 99, 978-988, 2013
We have commented also here
  RNA Structural Dynamics As Captured by Molecular Simulations: A
Comprehensive Overview, Sponer, Bussi et al. CHEMICAL REVIEWS, 118,
4177-4338, 2018

I think there is nothing like universal "over-estimation" of stacking
in nucleic acids. Some stacking patterns are probably over-stabilized
while others are under-stabilized, in a context-dependent manner.

In case of benzene-benzene type of complexes,
vdW favors perfect stacking which is, however, unstable due
to molecular quadrupole - molecular quadrupole interaction,
this causes the parallel-displaced a T-shape arrangements.

Base stacking electrostatics has molecular dipole - molecular dipole
nature.
Base-base and deoxyribose-base stacking interactions in B-DNA and
Z-DNA: A quantum-chemical study Sponer et al, BIOPHYS. J. 73, 76-87, 1997

However, solvent screening counterbalances the electrostatics at
the Potential of mean force level of description

Thermodynamic parameters for stacking and hydrogen bonding of nucleic acid
bases in aqueous solution: Ab initio/Langevin dipoles study
Florian et al. J PHYS CHEM B, 103, 884-892, 1999

So, stacking is quite a complex phenomenon and its description requires
balanced description of not only the direct interaction but also
of the context, the latter is often the problem.

Best wishes, Jiri