Re: [AMBER] PCA multiple trajectories for mutants and wild type

From: Wesley Michael Botello-Smith <wmsmith.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:07:36 -0700

One option would be to use RMSD clustering in CPPTRAJ. Assuming you are
starting from the same crystal structure, you could align each trajectory
to the crystal structure and run kmeans to get an estimate of the different
states that each trajectory explores.
Due to the degeneracy in an RMSD measurement, this is not a perfect metric,
but it may give a decent lower bound estimate for how many different states
each trajectory explored.

For more detailed investigations you could use the perres option to get the
per-residue RMSD in each trajectory. I like to import these into R or
gnuplot to produce a 'heatmap' plot to get idea of what portions of the
protein have changed at each step. E.g. the x axis is time, y axis is
residue number and the color maps to RMSD. While there is still a good
degree of degeneracy involved, it is more 'finger print' like for various
microstates.
Wavelet analysis (WAFEX) is another option as well.

Additionally, you could employ clustering techniques on the per-residue
RMSD / wavelet data to attemp to identify individual states.

Another option would be to compute phi / psi angles (ramachandran). Using a
heatmap approach you could again get a sort of 'fingerprint' of backbone
conformation at each step.
Also, in addition to using PC on cartesian coordinates, consider applying
it to the phi / psi backbone angles as well. These act as internal
coordinates.

If you have sufficient trajectory lengths, you may also consider using
Markov state modeling techniques... PC is certainly one option there,
although TICA seem to be more favored for Markov state modeling.