Re: [AMBER] Question about equilibration of membrane protein MD

From: Wesley Michael Botello-Smith <wmsmith.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:55:10 -0700

I'm not sure about your particular cluster setup, but for ones based on
slurm I typically use a loop to automate running large simulations in
multiple sub-sections. The advantage to that is that as long as enough
steps are completed to generate a restart file, then even if one simulation
fails (in a continuable manner) the next one automatically picks up where
the last one left off.
E.g. If you wanted to divide your 10 ns simulation into .5 ns chunks:
(I'm using the naming conventions that get produced in charmm-gui here)

echo "running production"
step="step4.2_equilibration"
step_template=step5_production.mdin
for ii in `seq -f "%03g" 0 1 19`
do
    prev_step=$step
    step="step5.${ii}_production"
    cp $step_template ${step}.mdin

    echo "running $step"
    echo "$AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd.cuda -O -i $step.mdin -c $prev_step.rst7 "
    echo " -p $toppath -r $step.rst7 -ref $prev_step.rst7 "
    echo " -o $step.out -x $step.nc "

    $AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd.cuda -O -i $step.mdin -c $prev_step.rst7 \
        -p $toppath -r $step.rst7 -ref $prev_step.rst7 \
        -o $step.out -x $step.nc
    #mv restraints.dat ${step}.restraints.dat
done
echo "done"

In the case where some of the simulations fail, you can simply run
additional simulations at the end to recover the lost time.