Re: [AMBER] huge difference in GB and PB energies calculated with MMPBSA.py

From: Wesley Michael Botello-Smith <wmsmith.uci.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 12:17:40 -0700

Charles,
 Looking at your input script, you seem to be using mostly defaults for the
two methods. This explains the discrepency in the surface area energy terms.
For pbsa, the default is inp=2, which decomposes the non-polar solvation
energy term into a cavity term (ENPOLAR) and a dispersion term (EDISPER).
This differs significantly from the default non-polar solvation method used
by GBSA, which is simply a linear function of the surface area.

You would likely get a closer agreement if you use inp=1 for PBSA. It would
then compute the nonpolar contribution as a single term that is a linear
function of surface area, which is more consistent with the method used in
GBSA.