Re: [AMBER] Novice Question: MD Visualisation in VMD

From: Horn, Anselm <anselm.horn.fau.de>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 12:07:40 +0000

Dear Billy,

just a short answer:
The prmtop file holds the information about atom identities, parameters and connectivity; the crd file (like the restart file) contains a single set of coordinates, augmented with a set of velocities (necessary for restarts); the mdcrd file contains several sets of coordinates, normally without velocities.

Now, VMD needs both, topology and coordinates to correctly display any structure; thus, you first have to load a prmtop file, in order to tell VMD abouth the atoms and residues of the system, and in a next step you load the pure coordinate files like mdcrd.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Anselm