[AMBER] pH as a Dimension in Multidimensional (2D) Replica Exchange

From: Jason Ku Wang <jwang198.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 11:08:57 -0700

Hi AMBER Community!

In reading about multidimensional REMD capabilities on AMBER, I came across
this line:

"pH-REMD is not currently compatible with T-REMD in another dimension.
Also, H-REMD/pH-REMD simulations are not expected to work well.
pH-compatible temperature and umbrella exchange are planned for the
future." (Top of page 426, AMBER 16 Manual:
http://ambermd.org/doc12/Amber16.pdf)

It seems like temperature x Hamiltonian M-REMD is the best option, but I'm
curious why pH-REMD is not compatible/not expected work well in tandem with
temperature or Hamiltonian dimensions (e.g. is the reason software or
scientific)?

Thanks so much - once again!

Jason Wang
Stanford University, Class of 2018