Re: [AMBER] QM/MM with Orca: selected input parameters not taken into account

From: Ruth Helena Tichauer <rhtichau.laas.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:51:51 +0100

Dear Jim,

Thank you for taking a look into my files.

> On 9 Mar 2018, at 19:42, James Kress <jimkress_58.kressworks.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Ruth,
>
> As I suspected, the SCF is not converging in Orca. This may be due to a
> couple of questionable Orca related issues.

Indeed, Orca is encountering SCF problems

> 1) There is are files from a pre-existing Orca run in the same location as
> your run. The files are being used as we see here:
>
> Checking for AutoStart:
> The File: orc_job.gbw exists
> Trying to determine its content:
> ... Fine, the file contains calculation information
> ... Fine, the calculation information was read
> ... Fine, the file contains a basis set
> ... Fine, the basis set was read
> ... Fine, the file contains a geometry
> ... Fine, the geometry was read
> ... Fine, the file contains a set of orbitals
> ... Fine, the orbitals can be read
> => possible old guess file was deleted
> => GBW file was renamed to GES file
> => GES file is set as startup file
> => Guess is set to MORead
> ... now leaving AutoStart
>
> You need to clean these old files out of the working area for your new
> calculations.

It cannot be because of pre-existing files as a new folder was created for running the simulation, hence I can guarantee you that these files are from this specific run.

> 2) The options displayed as the orca input file are "unusual" and are not
> the ones you specify in &orc

What do you mean by unusual? Am I selecting incompatible settings? I’m new to Orca so I would really appreciate any guidance in its use (despite that their website and manual are very clear and helpful).

When I wrote the original email, I didn’t know that settings from the &orc namelist weren’t going to be transferred to the orc_job.inp file because of the use of a template file, Andreas Goetz then gave me this helpful piece of information.

> If you look at page 165 of the Amber16 manual, you'll see that some of the
> entries you specify are not allowed.
>
> Try this:
>
> In your Sander input file:
>
> &orc
> use_template=1
> /
>
> In orc_job.tpl use the following:
>
> #ORCA input file
> ! PBE def2-SVP def2/JK def2/C
> %elprop
> dipole true
> end
> %scf
> Maxiter=500
> Convergence sloppy
> end
>
> Please let me know if this works OK for you. If not, then please send the
> "ptchrg.xyz" and orca_inpfile.xyz and I'll take a closer look.

In the mean time, before seeing your email, I launched a simulation with the following orc_job.tpl file, and it is working for now, but I shall try what you propose:

#ORCA input file
!PBE Def2-SVP Def2/J Def2-SVP/C SLOPPYSCF
%pal
  nprocs 1
end
%method
  grid 4
  finalgrid 6
end
%scf
  maxiter 500
  SOSCFStart 0.00033
end

> Some questions:
>
> 1) Why are you using "cbasis”?

I’m using a cbasis to speed-up the convergence when calculating the correlation term (if I understand well, correct me please if I got things wrong).

> 2) Do you really need Orca to calculate and print the dipole moments for
> every QM calculation?

I might use this data but I’m actually not sure yet.. Is it too expensive to print it "just in case"?

> 3) sloppy convergence is dangerous. Medium might be better and would get
> you a much better final density.

I’ve chosen a “sloppy” threshold criterion because I initially wanted to perform some non-equilibrium simulations and it would have never converged if I would have selected a higher accuracy criterion. As I encountered multiple SCF problems, I have decided to first minimise the quantum region and then go for the non-equilibrium simulations. Any simulation protocol suggestions would be much appreciated if you would have any.

All the best!

Ruth