Re: [AMBER] cpptraj.OMP vs cpptraj

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 09:20:43 -0500

Hi,

Some actions don't scale perfectly - users are encouraged to do some
benchmarking on a handful of frames first to get a sense for how much
speedup you'll get for a given number of threads. The number of
threads used can be controlled with the OMP_NUM_THREADS environment
variable (this is mentioned in the manual). So run the analysis on a
few frames and set OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1, 2, 4, etc and see what
speedup you actually get. Note that cpptraj does not tend to benefit
from hyperthreading, so if the number of actual cores you have is 8
you probably won't see any speedup beyond that.

Note also that 'watershell' is one of two actions (the other is
'closest') that have been CUDA-accelerated, so if you have access to a
GPU you may want to try the CUDA build.

-Dan