Re: [AMBER] Several questions about Amber adaptive QM/MM MD.

From: Goetz, Andreas <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 01:45:39 +0000

Dear Mingyuan,

At first glance your input files look OK.

Because you are not using a periodic system it may be best to set qmcut to a large value, for instance 999.0 which will effectively include all MM atoms in the QM/MM Hamiltonian. But this is likely not reason for the problems that you encounter.

You are using a time step of 1fs, which may be too large. Try 0.5 fs.

Another reason for your problems may be large differences in the water equilibrium structure between the QM method (DFTB3) and the water force field (you must be using some flexible water model, since you are not using SHAKE constraints). You can try to get this under control by stronger coupling to the thermostat (increase gamma_ln). It may be possible that it would require a very large transition region or will not work at all if differences in the potentials are too large.

All the best,
Andy

Dr. Andreas W. Goetz
Assistant Research Scientist