Re: [AMBER] Possible concerns regarding future availability of cost effective NVIDIA GPU systems for running AMBER

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 15:18:39 -0500

I was just discussing Titan-V with one of my colleagues upstairs. That's
really incredible--I thought the reason people paid $6k for a GP100 was the
increase in double precision capability, and perhaps some better assurances
of consistency in the calculations. But if Titan-V can do in fp64 all that
the Volta we're presently looking at does in fp32, I wonder if we shouldn't
consider a new compilation mode. There are some things about DPFP
regarding memory access that are way sub-optimal, so it's not just slower
because there are fewer fp64 registers. Also, the amount of __shared__
probably isn't doubling in concert with the larger number of 64-bit
registers. But, if we can do more fp64, a high precision computation,
fixed precision accumulation (HPFP) mode might be appealing.

Dave