Re: [AMBER] Can we study the bond breaking event through Md simulation

From: Szymon Żaczek <szymonzaczek.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 11:50:08 +0100

Dear Rana,

bond's length fluctuations that you observe are completely normal
during MD simulations, though it is crucial to notice that it cannot
be anyhow facilitated with the actual electron rearrangement that
takes place during chemical reactions. Hence, whenever you want to to
study chemical reactions you must somehow incorporate quantum methods
into your routine. From what you have written I assume that the only
thing you used Gaussian so far is the derivation of force field
parameters for your heme molecule. This is not enough to study
chemical reactions. Basically, there are several ways to study
chemical reactions in enzymatic systems: you can use so-called cluster
models, in which you only consider active site residues and your
substrates (see: doi.org/10.1007/s00775-009-0511-y) - this is probably
the easiest way to start. Alternatively, you might use QM/MM MD
coupled with enhanced sampling methods, such as Umbrella Sampling,
which will allow you to incorporate dynamical fluctuations of enzyme
and substrates into studied process, what will ensure that the
energetics of reaction that you will obtain will be based on an
ensemble of structures, though it's important to notice that it will
not be based on the optimized structures. The alternative is to first
obtain profile of reaction using Umbrella Sampling, then cut out
several structures that will represent reactants, transition state and
products and optimize them using QM/MM schemes, for instance using the
one implemented in ChemShell package or ONIOM in Gaussian. This method
though is likely to be bery time consuming and computationally
expensive.

Kind regards,
Szymon Żaczek