Re: [AMBER] cudaGetDeviceCount failed unknown error

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:08:13 -0500

Hi Bogac,

Are you using CUDA 7.5 or CUDA 8.0? If 7.5 then upgrade to 8.0, there was a bug in 7.5 related to the way AMBER locates idle GPUs.

Next, are you using Ubuntu? And if yes did you install the drivers by downloading the .run installer from the NVIDIA site or through apt-get?

If the later I suspect you are hitting a bug in the way the package manager works that a couple of other people have run into as well recently. It appears that when one installs the NVIDIA driver through apt-get for some reason it doesn't install nvidia-modprobe and this is what leads to the cryptic behavior you are seeing.

Try

sudo apt-get install nvidia-modprobe

Then try again.

If you aren't running Ubuntu then please provide more details about your Linux install and environment.

All the best
Ross