Re: [AMBER] The strange way of paramfit working process

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:42:28 -0500

Hi Viktor,

Sorry I can't seem to be of much help, either--the dihedrals are a Fourier
series but I've never heard of fitting them by doing a Fourier transform.
Simple enough to do the least squares optimization of each coefficient. If
you want to try out mdgx, it should be able to work with your structures
and input energies, then produce parameters. I did a lot of work to try
and make it user-friendly, let you explore what new parameters you want to
add, but it's still not a walk in the park. I helped another group awhile
back and while I appreciate their tenacity and interest in the project, it
reinforced my belief that force field development takes as long as you are
willing to give it.

I will continue to try and improve mdgx and the Amber modeling process, but
there are so many different opinions on how to proceed, each of which is
deep-seated and not necessarily compatible with the others. The modeling
programs tend to reflect the opinions of the people who wrote them. I will
suggest that a broader goal of force field development should be higher
fidelity to the quantum benchmarks so that better quantum benchmarks can
shine through the noise that our crude approximations inject. Without a
guiding light and without better molecular mechanics approximations, fights
over our personal opinions are all that we're going to get over the
meanings of those shadows on the wall of the cave.

Dave