Re: [AMBER] About paramfit 1-4 scaling

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 16:08:09 -0400

The 1:4 scaling is an arbitrary constant that we use because it affords
better reproduction of the energy surface in the context of a fairly crude
molecular model. In recent years we have augmented the implementation to
support unique1:4 scaling factors for different interactions--Amber protein
forces fields take 83.33% strength electrostatics 50% van-der Waals, GLYCAM
uses 100% for both. I don't know exactly what GAFF does.

Last year someone was having trouble with the 1:4 term fitting in ParamFit
(or, maybe they just wanted to do 1:4 fitting but they could not in
ParamFit). In any case, mdgx has a capability for this--I never found it
to be of much use, but it can be folded into the rest of the force field
data fitting pretty easily. The person who wanted to do 1:4 fitting seems
to have gotten pretty good potential energy surfaces in the result, but
IIRC it also ended up making one of the 1:4 constants really small. There
is a tutorial but it's slated for release on the new website, which is
currently in limbo. Let me know if you want to try things with mdgx and
I'll see what I can do.

Dave