Re: [AMBER] Independent production runs

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 08:08:22 -0400

I would say that this depends very much on what you are trying to learn,
and what information you have to start.
Different properties converge at different rates, so the length of the MD
should ideally be several times longer than the timescale of the properties
you are investigating. Also, if any part of your initial structure is a
model, you will want/need to show that the results do not depend on how you
built that model. For example, if you added part of the structure
(glycans?) you'll want to add them in a different conformation and make
sure that any conclusions drawn from the simulation are not strongly
dependent on how you made your initial model. Simply repeating the
simulation from the same model will not explore that sensitivity, since it
will just tell you that the results are the same if you start with the same
model.

hope that helps .. there is not really 1 simple answer.