Re: [AMBER] problem Finding entropy

From: Ramin Salimi <ramin.salimi01.utrgv.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 02:27:50 +0000

Dr. Case
Thanks so much for the reply.
Here is a sample input file I feed into cpptraj, where 49.0 means the DNA molecule at length 49.0 A0, and is the same for all the other lengths:

 parm strip.49.0.mbondi3.prmtop
 trajin strippedtraj.49.0.crd
 rms first :1-24&!.H=
 average crdset 49.0.average
 createcrd 49.0.nc
 run
 crdaction 49.0.nc rms ref 49.0.average :1-24&!.H=
 crdaction 49.0.nc matrix mwcovar name 49.0.mwcvmat :1-24&!.H= out 49.0.mwcvmat.dat
 runanalysis diagmatrix 49.0.mwcvmat out 49.0.evecs.dat vecs 20 name 49.0.myEvecs nmwiz nmwizvecs 20 nmwizfile dna.49.0.nmd nmwizmask :1-24&!.H= thermo outthermo thermo.49.0.dat temp 300.0

I used a total of 15 configurations corresponding to the lengths 49, 52, 58, 63, 69, 76,81, 86, 90, 93, 100, 102, 104, 106 plus the normal length (all in Angstrom).
My system is a dna of 12 basepairs, and I have attached a sample prmtop file for the length 49 A0. in the input file, mask :1-24&!.H= corresponds to all the residues of the DNA molecule except hydrogen atoms.

question: why do I not see any such file as 49.0.myEvecs which supposedly contains the resulting modes? By the way, if we store the diagonalized matrix to 49.0.mwcvmat, what do we need 49.0.myEvecs for?

question: In the manual, it says that the thermo analysis calculates the entropy, and heat capacity using standard statistical mechanical formulas for an ideal gas. why should it be applicable to dna or protein systems? I mean how does this method find the entropy?
I was just expecting a diagonalized matrix which is the matrix multiplication of mass, and fluctuations, and openable then I would simply take its determinant. And finally multiply it by some other coefficients to get to the entropy based on the mathematical formulation I prefer.

question: when I view 49.0.evecs.dat file, it says 1458 in the second line, but the number of the remaining lines seems to be bigger than that. I mean the total lines in the file is 4431 but when I multiply 1458*3, it gives 4374 which is not equal to 4431. Why?

Thanks in advance
Ramin